Here is how to follow up with the hospital to confirm your financial assistance application was received and make sure it is reviewed quickly.
Watch for communications from hospital
You should hear from your hospital in about 3–4 weeks with a decision on your application. They may email you, call, or send a letter, so make sure you pay attention to any messages they send you.
If you don’t hear from your hospital within 4 weeks, it’s very important to call them. Keep calling every two weeks until you get an answer. Be persistent to get that debt forgiveness!
Important things to know
- At some hospitals, different departments handle financial assistance and billing. This is why you may still be getting bills in the mail. If you receive a bill, it’s really important to call for an update.
- If you are working with Dollar For on your application, the hospital might not know who we are. When you call, make sure to use the script below instead of asking about Dollar For. You’ll get better results if you ask about your financial assistance application than about us.
What to say when you call the hospital
It can feel intimidating to call the hospital, but remember you are just speaking to a human on the other end of the line. Start by asking to speak with someone in the financial assistance department.
When you get them, here is what you can say:
“Hi. My name is _[YOUR NAME]_ and my date of birth is _[YOUR DATE OF BIRTH]_. I submitted a financial assistance application on _[THE DATE YOU SENT IT IN]_. Can you confirm you received my application and share the status?”
You might end up hearing a few different answers. Here are more questions you can ask:
If the hospital says they did not receive your application
- Can you tell me the best email address or fax number to resend it to?
- If I have to mail it, how long does it take for you to update your system when it arrives?
If they are still reviewing your application
- When is the review expected to be complete?
- Do you need anything else from me to complete your review?
If they say you need to send more information or documents
- What exactly do you need?
- Is there a deadline to submit it?
- How should I submit it?
If they have approved your application
- Will you be sending me a confirmation letter?
- If the bill is in collections, can you confirm that the debt collector will be notified?
If they say your application was denied
- Can I reapply or appeal with other information?
- Is partial assistance an option?
If they say it has been turned over to collections
- When was it turned to collections?
- Is financial assistance still an option?